Wayne’s Beef Macaroni and Cheese
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 1 teaspoon each cumin, and dried oregano dried basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb box elbow macaroni
- 2 to 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
Cook the macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside. Heat the oil in a skillet; add the peppers, onion, and garlic, and sauté until soft. Add the ground beef and sauté until browned. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste, and the basil, cumin, and oregano. In a large bowl, combine the macaroni and the beef mixture. Spread this mixture into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Top with the cheese and bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cheese is lightly browned and bubbly.
Cook’s Note: Ground turkey or chicken can be used in place of beef, if desired.