Virginia’s Green Beans Provencal
By Virginia Willis
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 5 minutes
- Servings: 5
- 1 1/2 lbs haricots verts, ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 15 kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
Prepare an ice-water bath by filling a large bowl with ice and water
Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil over high heat. Add the beans and cook until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Drain well in a colander, then set the colander with beans in the ice-water bath, making sure the beans are submerged. Drain the beans, shaking off the excess water.
In the same pot, heat the oil over low heat. Add beans, garlic, tomatoes, olives and basil, and toss to combine. Drizzle vinegar over beans and toss to coat. Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve hot, warm, or cold.