Veggie Mac and Cheese Casserole
By Deen Brothers
- Servings: 6
- 1/4 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 head cauliflower about 1 pound
- 1 large head broccoli about 1 3/4 pounds
- 1 package 13 1/4 ounces whole-grain fusilli
- 1 cup fresh
- 2 tablespoons whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, mustard, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Stir in the gruyeÌ€re and Parmesan.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the cauliflower and broccoli and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the water with a slotted spoon, and transfer them to a large bowl.
4. Return the water to a boil, add the pasta, and cook according to the package directions. About a minute before the pasta is finished cooking, add the peas and cook until heated through. Drain the peas and pasta, re- serving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water, and transfer them to the bowl containing the cau- liflower and broccoli.
5. Add the yogurt mixture and 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water to the pasta and veggie mixture, and stir until the cheese is melted and the mixture is well combined; add more pasta water if it seems a little dry. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish, and sprinkle with the panko and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bake until the cheese is bubbly, about 10 minutes.