New Year’s Day Pressure Cooker Black Eyed Peas
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 8 hours
- Cook time: 135 minutes
- Servings: 6 to 8
- 1 package dried black-eyed peas
- large piece of hog jowl (can substitute with ham hock)
- 6 cups water, plus additional as needed
- 1 teaspoon Paula Deen House Seasoning
- dash of black pepper
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons garlic powder
- wet chicken base (1 teaspoon per 8 ounces of water)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Paula Deen Hot Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
Soak your dried black eyed peas in water overnight.
Put hog jowl in your pressure cooker with water, house seasoning, pepper, garlic powder and chicken base. Cook until tender approximately 20 to 45 minutes.
Once hog jowl is tender, add black eyed peas, bay leaves, onion, and hot sauce. You may need to add some additional water to bring it back to the six-cup mark. Taste your stock and add salt and pepper, as needed. Cook for an hour and a half or until soft.
Add butter and serve warm.