Chicken Chili Stew
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 5 minutes
- Servings: 5
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 chopped yellow bell pepper
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 small seeds removed and chopped jalapeño
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium peeled and cubed sweet potato
- 2 cups store bought salsa verde
- 12 oz leftover roasted skinned and shredded into large pieces chicken
- 1 (15 oz) can drained and rinsed pinto beans
- 1/2 cup chopped and packed fresh cilantro
- 1 diced, for garnish avocado
- for garnish sour cream
Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeño and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes. Add chili powder and season with salt.
Stir in the chicken broth, sweet potato and salsa verde, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potato is just tender, about 10-12 minutes.
Stir in the shredded chicken and beans. Reduce heat to moderately low and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro at the end of cooking. Ladle into soup bowls and top with some diced avocado and a dollop of sour cream.
Paula’s Note: You can find Salsa Verde in the Latin Foods section of your grocery store.