By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 2 1/2 lb split chicken breasts
- 3 quarts water
- 3 chopped ribs celery
- 1 large quartered yellow onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 chopped sweet onion
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 2 seeded and minced jalapeño peppers
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 (28-ounce) can undrained petite diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 cut into thin strips corn tortillas
- cilantro (optional) sour cream
In a large Dutch oven, combine chicken breast, water, celery, and yellow onion. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes, or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from broth; reserve broth. Let chicken cool slightly; skin and bone chicken. Shred chicken, and set aside. Strain broth, discarding vegetables, set aside.
In Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat; add sweet onion, bell pepper, jalapeños, and garlic. Cook 6 to 7 minutes, or until tender. Stir in flour, and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add tomatoes, 10 cups reserved chicken broth, shredded chicken, cilantro, cumin, salt, and chili powder. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in lime juice.
In a small skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Fry tortilla strips, in batches, until crispy; drain on paper towels.
Ladle soup into bowls, top with crispy tortilla strips. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and cilantro, if desired.