Blue Corn Enchiladas
By Deen BrothersJUMP TO RECIPE
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 1 hr 10 min
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 Vidalia onion
- One 3.5-ounce package shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth homemade
- 1 to 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- One 14.5-ounce can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1/3 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Eight 6-inch blue corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 3 green onions
- 1 lime
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat the oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook, about 1 more minute. Sprinkle the mixture with the flour and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in the chicken broth, hot sauce and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the flavors marry, 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in the cooked chicken, salt and pepper and turn off the heat.
Place 4 of the tortillas in the bottom of a casserole dish and top with half of the chicken mixture. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Repeat the layers with the remaining 4 tortillas, chicken mixture and cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Garnish with the green onions and serve with lime wedges to drizzle with fresh lime juice.