By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion
- 1 (16) oz package washed dried black-eyed peas
- 1 (12 oz) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups water
- 1/3 lb thinly sliced hog jowl
- 3 teaspoons Paula Deen's House Seasoning
- 3 tablespoons butter
In a large saucepan, add bacon, cook until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon, crumble, and set aside to use as a topping for the peas.
Add onion and sauté in the bacon drippings until tender. Add the peas, diced tomatoes and green chilies, salt, chili powder, pepper and water. Cover and cook over medium heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the peas are tender. Add additional water, if necessary. Serve garnished with crumbled bacon.