By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 1 large bunch collard greens
- 1 tablespoon Paula Deen's Seasoned Salt
- 1 tablespoon wet chicken base
- 1 tablespoon Paula Deen's Hot Sauce
- 1/2 lb (ham hocks, smoked turkey wings, or smoked neck bones) smoked meat
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
In a large pot, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil and add smoked meat, house seasoning, seasoned salt and hot sauce. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 1 hour.
Wash the collard greens thoroughly. Remove the stems that run down the center by holding the leaf in your left hand and stripping the leaf down with your right hand. The tender young leaves in the heart of the collards don’t need to be stripped. Stack 6 to 8 leaves on top of one another, roll up, and slice into 1/2 to 1-inch thick slices. Place greens in pot with meat and. Cook for 45 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally. When done taste and adjust seasoning. Then, add the butter.
Serve with favorite dish as a side.