Basic Tomato Sauce
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 10
- 2 (28 oz) cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large finely chopped onion
- 4 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh basil leaves
Add the tomatoes to a blender and puree until smooth.
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Stir in the basil the last minute of cooking.