Warm Mexican Crab Dip
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 20
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons seeded and chopped, plus slices for garnish, (optional) jalapeño
- 1/2 cup light beer
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
- 1 (8 oz) block cheese product
- 1 lb drained and picked for shells lump crabmeat
- 1/4 cup (about 2 limes) fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup minced green onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 10-inch flour tortillas
In a 4-quart saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, jalapeño pepper and garlic and cook stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. Stir in the beer and cook until the liquid is reduced by half. Stir in the cream, cream cheese, and processed cheese, whisking until melted and smooth.
Stir in crabmeat, lime juice, green onion, cilantro and chili powder and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the salt, black pepper, cayenne, and cumin. Transfer the dip to a serving bowl and garnish with sliced jalapeño pepper, if desired. Serve hot with tortilla chips.
In a deep-fryer or heavy-bottomed pot, heat enough oil to come halfway up the sides of the pot, to 375º.
Cut the tortillas into triangles. Fry them, in batches, until golden, about 2 minutes. Remove the tortillas from the oil to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with salt, to taste, and serve.