Roast Christmas Duckling with Christmas Chutney
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 10
- 3 (3 lbs each) rinsed, trimmed, and excess fat removed from the cavity ducklings
- 6 sprigs plus 1 sprig for chutney fresh thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cloves peeled and smashed garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small shallot
- 1 small peeled and chopped Granny Smith apple
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup (can substitute frozen or dried cranberries) dried cherries
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
Preheat oven to 425 °F.
Add 2 sprigs of thyme, 1 bay leaf, and 1 clove of garlic to each cavity. Place ducklings, breast side up, on a rack. Season with salt and pepper. Place breast side up on a rack. Season with salt and pepper.
Roast at 425 °F until the temperature of the thigh registers 180 °F.
Meanwhile, being the chutney. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and saute until softened. Add apple and cook to soften, about 3 minutes more. Add golden raisins, cherries, thyme, lemon zest, water and sugar. Bring to a low simmer and cook, stirring on occasion, until mixture has thickened, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool before serving.
Remove ducklings from oven. Remove to a cutting board and let rest for 15 minutes before carving. Serve with Christmas chutney.