Pig Pickin’ Cake
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 15 to 20 minutes
- Servings: 16-20
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges, with juice
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 (16-ounce can) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (3.4-ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 (8-ounce containers) frozen whipped topping, thawed, or 1 quart heavy cream, whipped and sweetened with 1 cup sugar
Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease and flour three 8-inch round pans. Mix together the cake mix, the oranges with their juice, eggs, and oil. Divide the batter among the prepared pans; layers will be thin. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cake tests done. Cool the layers on wire racks.
While the cake cools, make the frosting.
Mix the drained pineapple with the pudding mix and fold this mixture into the whipped cream. Fill and frost the cooled cake layers. Refrigerate until ready to serve.