Pig on a Stick
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup light soy sauce
- 2 lbs pork tenderloin
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried Scotch bonnet chile
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chives
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 to 1 whole seeded and minced jalapeño
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 (18 oz) jar orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 24 (10 inch) wooden skewers
Cut tenderloin in half crosswise. Cut each half lengthwise into 4-inch thin strips. Place pork in a heavy duty re-sealable plastic bag.
In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, olive oil, garlic and 1 tablespoon jerk seasoning (recipe below). Pour over pork. Seal bag, and marinate pork in refrigerator, 1 hour.
Turn on broiler.
When ready to cook the pork, line a broiler pan with aluminum foil. Lightly grease rack and place on pan. Remove pork from bag; discard marinade.
Thread pork onto skewers in an “s” shape. Place skewers in a single layer on a prepared pan. Broil 5 inches from heat for 8 minutes, turning once. Serve warm with Caribbean Dipping Sauce.
Dora’s Jerk Seasoning:
Combine kosher salt, allspice, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, Scotch bonnet pepper, paprika, chives, nutmeg, black pepper, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and thyme in a bowl until well mixed. Store in an airtight container.
Caribbean Dipping Sauce:
In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add jalapeño pepper and ginger, and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low, and stir in marmalade, lime juice and salt. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
*Cook’s Note: Jalapeño peppers are extremely hot. We recommend wearing disposable gloves when handling them.