By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
Love & Best Dishes
Prep time: 8 hours
Cook time: 20 minutes
Servings: Makes 8 large meatballs
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 pound ground round beef
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1 pound ground pork
- 3 cups diced soft bread (about 4 slices of bread)
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- all-purpose flour, for rolling
- vegetable oil, for frying
- pasta, for serving
- pasta sauce, for serving
In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, using your hands, gently combine onion mixture, meats, bread, cheese, milk, eggs, parsley, salt, lemon juice, red pepper, black pepper, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves. Shape into ½-cup meatballs. Refrigerate overnight.
Reshape balls, and roll in flour to coat.
In a skillet, fry meatballs, in batches, until browned on all sides.
In a large Dutch oven, pour water to a depth of about 3 inches, and heat over medium heat until simmering. Place meatballs, in batches, in water, and gently simmer until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of a meatball registers 160˚F. Remove from pot, and set aside. Serve with favorite pasta and sauce.