Kentucky Hot Brown Casserole
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
At the Southern Table
Get your copy of At the Southern Table with Paula Deen here.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups divided shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 slices thick sandwich bread, toasted
- 2 pounds thinly sliced turkey
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and halved crosswise
- Garnish chopped tomatoes
- Garnish fresh parsley
Preheat oven to broil. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour; cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk; cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat, and whisk in 1 cup Swiss, Cheddar, salt, and pepper until melted.
Place bread in prepared pan, overlapping as needed to fit. Top with turkey, cheese sauce, and remaining 1 cup Swiss; sprinkle with paprika.
Broil until cheese is melted and lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
Top with bacon and tomatoes. Garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.