Ham and Collards Savory Casserole
By Sara KallnerJUMP TO RECIPE
- 4 tablespoons (2 melted), divided butter
- 2 lbs cut into 2-inch cubes ham steak
- 1 bunch chopped collards
- 1 small chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2 pints halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 can torn biscuits
- for garnish Paula Deen Hot Sauce
- 1/4 cup (leftover) bacon grease
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups warmed in a saucepan milk
- 1/4 teaspoon (plus a pinch) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (plus a pinch) pepper
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
Grease an 8-inch square baking dish.
In a medium sauté pan over medium high heat add 2 tablespoons butter, let melt, then add ham and sauté until brown, about 4-5 minutes. Add collards, tomatoes and onion, season with salt and pepper and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
In a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat add the bacon grease. Add the flour and whisk until smooth and bubbly, about 1 minute. Add the warmed milk slowly and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a low simmer and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the cream cheese and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over ham/veggie mixture.
Transfer the ham/gravy mixture to the casserole dish. Top with the torn biscuit pieces, and drizzle or brush melted butter over biscuits. Place in a 350 °F oven for 15-20 minutes, or until brown and bubbly.