Simple Southern Ham and Bean Soup
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus more for topping butter
- 1 small chopped fine onion
- 2 cloves chopped fine garlic
- 1 1/2 cups leftover diced ham
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 (15 oz) cans drained and rinsed white beans
- 4 cups (or homemade) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups cut into thin ribbons (can substitute one can of cooked collard greens) fresh collard greens
- to taste salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a heavy bottomed soup pot over medium heat, cook onion, garlic, ham and thyme in oil and butter, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 4 minutes.
Add beans, broth, bay leaf, collards, salt and pepper (to taste) and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes, so the flavors can develop. Remove bay leaves before serving. Serve in soup bowls and garnish with a tablespoon of butter on top.