By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 pint heavy cream
- freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 lb bow tie pasta, cooked
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, roughly chopped (for garnish)
Heat large skillet over medium high heat and brown sausage, breaking up with the back of a spoon. Add mushrooms, garlic and onion and cook until softened, add a bit of olive oil if needed. Add tomatoes, simmer until thickened. Add cream and simmer. Salt and pepper to taste.
Toss pasta with sauce. Just before serving add a bit of nutmeg and the freshly chopped parsley.
Great with crusty bread and your favorite Beaujolais.
Alternate recipe: Omit the cream and nutmeg and add second can of tomatoes and 1-2 teaspoons of sugar to taste. A little veal stock paste is always wonderful as well.