By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 10
- 1 lb casings removed sweet Italian sausage
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1 to 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 pint heavy cream
- freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 lb cooked bow tie pasta
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped (for garnish) fresh parsley
Heat large skillet over medium high heat and brown sausage, breaking up with the back of a spoon. Add mushrooms, garlic and onion and cook until softened, add a bit of olive oil if needed. Add tomatoes, simmer until thickened. Add cream and simmer. Salt and pepper to taste.
Toss pasta with sauce. Just before serving add a bit of nutmeg and the freshly chopped parsley.
Great with crusty bread and your favorite Beaujolais.
Alternate recipe: Omit the cream and nutmeg and add second can of tomatoes and 1-2 teaspoons of sugar to taste. A little veal stock paste is always wonderful as well.