Deep Fried Lasagna
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 20
- plain breadcrumbs
- 2 beaten eggs
- for frying peanut oil
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced green bell peppers
- 2 cloves diced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Paula Deen's House Seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Paula Deen Seasoned Salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 6 to 9 long strips lasagna noodles
- 12 oz mixed with 1 beaten egg and 1/2 cup Parmesan cottage cheese
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
Heat the oil to 350 °F. Dredge each square in flour then egg and then breadcrumbs to coat. Fry for about 1 minute until golden brown.
The Lady and Sons Lasagna
For the sauce:
Combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, onions, peppers, garlic, parsley, seasoning mixtures, sugar and bay leaves in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. See Cook’s Note*
Crumble the ground beef in a saucepan. Cook until no pink remains then drain off the fat. Add the ground beef to the stockpot. Simmer for another 20 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
*Cook’s Note: If sauce is too thin, for your taste, you can thicken it up at this time by mixing 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and a 1/4 of a cup of cold water. Bring sauce back to a boil. Stir in cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly.
Preheat oven to 350 °F.
For the lasagna:
Place a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of a 9 by 13 by 2-inch pan. Layer 1/3 of each; noodle; cottage cheese mixture, Gruyere, Swiss and Cheddar cheese. Pinch off small pieces of cream cheese and dot over the other cheeses. Add another layer of sauce. Repeat layering 2 to 3 times ending with sauce.
This may be covered and refrigerated. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and top with mozzarella and continue to bake for another 10 to 15 minutes.
*Note: If lasagna has been refrigerated, bake for 40 minutes total.