Creamed Corn Cornbread
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- ⅓ cup plus 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cups plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Preheat oven to 400°. Pour 3 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, and place skillet in oven to preheat.
In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together corn, buttermilk, eggs, and remaining ⅓ cup oil. Stir corn mixture into cornmeal mixture just until combined; stir in cheese. Pour batter into hot skillet.
Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes; serve warm.