Cornmeal Breakfast Biscuits
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 cup butter, plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 1/2 1 tablespoon cup divided plus butter
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (3 oz) package softened cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups self rising flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cups milk
1. Preheat oven to 450 °F. Lightly spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a medium skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add eggs, and cook, stirring occasionally, until firm. Remove from heat; add sausage, cheese, cream cheese, salt, and pepper, stirring until cheese is melted and mixture is combined.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour and cornmeal. Using a pastry blender, cut in remaining 1/2 cup butter until mixture is crumbly. Gradually add milk, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. Spoon about 2 tablespoons dough into each muffin cup, pressing dough into bottom and one-third up sides of each cup. Spoon egg mixture evenly over dough in muffin cups. Top egg mixture with remaining dough, pressing to edges to seal.
4. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
Note: To reheat leftover biscuits, wrap in a paper towel and microwave in 15-second intervals until warm.