Chocolate Heaven Cake
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 30 minutes
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Servings: 8-10
- 3 cups (not self-rising) cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup at room temperature sour cream
- 4 large at room temperature eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 9 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon for frosting vanilla extract
- 2 cups strong, fresh brewed coffee
- 3 sticks at room temperature unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 9 oz melted semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups sifted confectioner's sugar
For the cake:
Preheat oven to 325 °F. Grease bottom and sides of three 9″ cake pans.
In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
In a medium bowl place chocolate and pour hot coffee and 1 tablespoon vanilla.
Let stand about 2 minutes to melt the chocolate then stir until smooth.
ln another bowl whisk together eggs and oil until well blended and light in color. Whisk in sour cream, then melted chocolate mixture.
Add chocolate sour cream mixture to dry ingredients and mix on low speed while gradually adding in thirds. Mix until just until incorporated scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Fill prepared pans two thirds full. Bake cakes 40-55 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool then decorate as desired.
For the frosting:
Mix butter and milk until smooth and creamy.
Add 1 teaspoon vanilla just until incorporated.
Add melted chocolate until completely mixed.
Gradually add sugar until you reach the consistency of frosting.