Chocolate Flank Steak with Pineapple Salsa
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Servings: 15
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons plus 1/4 teaspoon for salsa salt
- 2 lbs flank steak
- 1 whole peeled and diced pineapple
- 1 halved, pitted, and flesh diced avocado
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
In a large resealable plastic bag, combine vinegar, cocoa, brown sugar, olive oil, cumin, chili powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper. Add flank steak; seal bag, and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours or overnight.
Spray nonstick griddle with nonstick spray and preheat to medium-high.
Remove steak from marinade and discard marinade. Place steak on the griddle and cook for 6 minutes on each side for a medium-rare. When cooked to desired doneness, remove from the griddle, to a cutting board, and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut steak across the grain into thin strips. Serve with Pineapple Salsa and garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired.
In a medium bowl, combine pineapple, avocado, onion, cilantro, lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Yield: 2 cups