Carolina Gold Rice Pudding
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 50 minutes
- Servings: 8
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons divided butter
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup or any short-grain white rice Carolina gold rice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon (up to 1/2 teaspoon) rum extract
- 1 cup optional stewed fruit
Measure rice, boiling water and salt into top of boiler. Cook over rapidly boiling water until rice is tender, about 30 to 40 minutes. Stir in condensed milk, 4 tablespoons butter and raisins. Cook, stirring frequently, over boiling water until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Mold into individual custard cups and refrigerate until ready to serve. Invert from custard cup onto plate and serve with fruit sauce.
Combine the orange juice, sugar and cornstarch in the top of a double boiler. Cook the mixture over simmering water until it thickens.
Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons butter, and rum extract. Serve warm over rice pudding garnished with stewed fruit, if desired.