Caramelized Vidalia Onion and Blue Cheese Hot Dip
By Paula Deen
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 large (or other sweet onions) halved and thinly sliced Vidalia onions
- 4 oz softened blue cheese
- 2 (8 oz) packages softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- whole wheat pita chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F. Spray an 8×8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a large skillet, heat oil and butter. Add garlic and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramel colored, about 20 minutes.
2. In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together blue cheese, cream cheese, mayonnaise, and sour cream. Remove blade from bowl, and stir in caramelized onions. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake until golden and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature with toasted whole wheat pita chips.