By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 2 Hours
- Cook time: 5 to 10 minutes
- Servings: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sliced into rings (use tubes and tentacles) calamari
- 3/4 cup mild sliced banana pepper
- 3/4 cup large diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
Clean and soak calamari in buttermilk for 2 hours before cooking. Drain well in a large mixing bowl. Dredge squid with flour until each ring separates easily from others. Put in sifter and shake off excess flour. Fry until golden brown. DO NOT OVERCOOK!
Start with 1 Tbsp butter over medium heat. When butter is melted, add peppers and tomatoes. Deglaze with lemon juice. Add remaining butter and scallions. Toss. Add calamari and toss. Serve.