By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 20 minutes (allowing time to cool and refrigerate)
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 6-8
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 2 lightly beaten egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (9 inch) pre-baked pie shell
- 1/4 cup plus more for topping butterscotch morsels
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
In a large saucepan over medium heat, add sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt. Slowly add milk, constantly stirring until it thickens.
In a separate bowl temper 2 egg yolks by whisking in a small amount of hot mixture to bowl. Whisk in the eggs and add the butter and vanilla. Allow to cook for a few minutes.
Pour into a dish and refrigerate, allowing to cool. When ready, fill pie shell with butterscotch mixture.
Mix the butterscotch morsels into the whipped cream. Cover pie and garnish with more butterscotch morsels.
Using a hand mixer, whip together the heavy cream and powdered sugar until light and fluffy.