By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup diced into 1/2 inch pieces fresh tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 1/2 cups fresh or canned, heated to a simmer chicken broth
- 1/2 cup instant-blending flour
- 3 cups julienne iceberg lettuce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup diced green onions
- 5 slices diced small, plus crisp, crumbed bacon for garnish bacon
In a 3-quart pot, cook the bacon over medium heat till lightly browned. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until wilted. Add the butter and stir until melted. Add the lettuce and saute for 2 minutes. Sprinkle the flour into the pot, then stir it in until well blended. Remove the pot from the heat and add the hot chicken broth, tomatoes, nutmeg and pepper. Heat the soup to boiling, stirring constantly, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Add the cream and mix well. Mix together the mayonnaise and sour cream.
Serve each portion of soup with a dollop of mayonnaise mixture topped with crumbled bacon.