Basic Flaky Double Piecrust
By Deen Brothers
- Prep time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- Servings: Two 9-inch Piecrusts
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3 to 5 tablespoons ice water
In a food processor or large bowl, pulse or whisk together the flour and salt. Pulse or cut in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Pulse or cut in enough ice water until dough just comes together (it should not be sticky).
Press the dough into a large ball. Divide the dough into two smaller balls; using the palm of your hand, flatten each ball into a disk. Wrap disks tightly in plastic wrap. Chill for 1 hour or until ready to use.