Banana Nut Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 30 minutes
- Cook time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Servings: 15-18
- 3 cups plus more for pans all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 beaten eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large ripe mashed bananas
- 1 cup chopped plus 1/2 cup for frosting pecans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons plus 1 teaspoon for frosting vanilla extract
- 1 (8 oz) package at room temperature cream cheese
- 1 cup at room temperature, plus more for greasing pan butter
- 1 lb sifted confectioner's sugar
How To Videos
Butter and flour 3 (9-inch) round cake pans; set aside. Preheat oven to 350 °F.
In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add the eggs and oil and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened; do not beat. Stir in the banana, 1 cup pecans and 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Divide the batter among the prepared pans and bake for 23 to 28 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake layers in the pans for 10 minutes, and then turn them out onto a rack to cool completely. While the cake cools, make the frosting.
In a bowl, blend together the cream cheese and butter. Gradually add the confectioner’s sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in 1/2 cup pecans, or reserve them to sprinkle over the frosted cake. Fill and frost the cake when it is completely cool.