By Bob KellermanJUMP TO RECIPE
- 10 cups peeled and sliced apples
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons divided lemon zest
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- (or cooking spray) vegetable oil
Combine apples, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon zest, sugar and golden raisins in a bowl.
In another bowl, cut the butter into the flour and stir in the light brown sugar, oats, 2 tablespoons lemon zest, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom.
Spray interior of camp Dutch oven with cooking spray or wipe with vegetable oil. Spread apple mixture in bottom of camp oven. Top with topping mixture. Bake at 350 °F by placing 8 coals under and 16 on lid. Continue cooking until apples are cooked and topping is brown. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.