Wild Rice Salad
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 3 chopped, white and green parts green onions
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (6 oz) can green peas
- 1 (6 oz) jar drained and halved marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1 teaspoon for dressing salt
- 1 cup halved, or grape tomatoes cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup toasted silvered almonds
- 1 1/3 cups canola oil
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 clove minced garlic
Combine oil, vinegar, cheese, sugar, celery seed, pepper, dry mustard, paprika, garlic and 1 teaspoon salt in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
In a 1-quart pot with a lid, bring 2 cups water and the 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil. Add the rice and stir well. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Drain excess liquid from the rice.
In a large bowl, combine the rice, artichoke hearts, peas, green pepper, green onions, tomatoes, reserved marinade and half of the dressing. Toss well. Cover and chill or eat at room temperature. Just before serving, toss again and taste. Add some of the remaining dressing, if desired. Sprinkle with the almonds and serve.