Vidalia Onion Cornbread
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 large Vidalia onion (or other sweet onion), chopped
- 1 (8-oz) package corn muffin mix
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar, grated, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
Preheat the oven to 450 °F. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with vegetable oil cooking spray.
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and sauté the onion until tender, but not browned, for about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add the muffin mix, egg, milk, sour cream, 1/2 cup of the cheese, the salt and dill weed. Stir to combine. Pour into the prepared pan and top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, until set and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before cutting into squares.