Turnip Greens With Cornmeal Dumplings
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 3/4 lb (or other smoked meat) smoked turkey wings
- 4 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon Paula Deen's House Seasoning
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 bunch with roots (reserve 2/3 cup cooking liquid for dumplings) turnip greens
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon optional; (may be used if greens are bitter) sugar
- 1 cup all purpose cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 egg
Place smoked meat in water along with House Seasoning, bouillon, and ginger. Cook over low heat for 1 1/2 hours. Strip turnip leaves free of the big stem that runs down the center of each leaf. Wash in a sink full of clean water. Drain and wash twice more, since greens can often be sand. Peel and slice or quarter roots. Add greens to meat; cook for another 30 minutes, stirring often. Add roots and continue to cook for approximately 15 minutes, or until roots are tender. (Reserve 2/3 cup liquid after cooking if making dumplings.) Add butter and dumplings (if desired) and serve.
Mix all ingredients together. Dipping by teaspoonfuls, gently roll batter in the palms of your hands into approximately 1-inch balls; drop into boiling turnip liquid Make sure each dumpling is completely covered in liquid by shaking the pot gently; do not stir. Boil for about 10 minutes.