Thanksgiving Curried Squash and Apple Soup
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 large acorn squash
- 3 tablespoons divided olive oil
- 1 large chopped onion
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 peeled and chopped honeycrisp apples
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 pinch to taste kosher salt
- 1 pinch to taste black pepper
- 1 dollop if desired, for serving Greek yogurt
- 1 dollop if desired, for serving sour cream
Heat oven to 375 °F.
Slice squash in half, remove seeds and place on a sheet tray. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until tender.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle in curry powder and cook, while stirring, 1 more minute. Add apples and butter and sauté until soft, another 3 minutes.
Stir in chicken broth, apple cider, and the flesh from the squash, lower heat to medium, and simmer for 25 minutes.
Puree until smooth using a hand blender. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper. Serve in warm bowls with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream.