Simply Delicious Strawberry Cake
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 1 (18.25 oz) box white cake mix
- 1 (3 oz) box strawberry-flavored instant gelatin
- 1 (15 oz) package thawed and pureed, plus 1/4 cup puree for frosting frozen strawberries in syrup
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1 (8 oz) package softened cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 7 cups confectioner's sugar
- freshly sliced for garnish, optional strawberries
Preheat oven to 350 °F. Lightly grease 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
In a large bowl, combine cake mix and gelatin. Add pureed (15 oz) strawberries, eggs, oil, and water; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Pour into prepared pans, and bake for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
For the frosting:
In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in 1/4 cup of strawberry puree and the strawberry extract. (The rest of the puree is leftover but can be used in smoothies or on ice cream for a delicious treat.) Gradually add confectioner’s sugar, beating until smooth.
Spread frosting in between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with sliced fresh strawberries, if desired.