By Deen BrothersJUMP TO RECIPE
The Deen Bros. Recipes from the Road
Servings: 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 10-ounce package frozen sliced okra
- 1 medium onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1â„2 pound andouille sausage
- 2 cups canned chopped tomatoes
- 1â„4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 pounds medium shrimp
- 1 scallion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice
In a Dutch oven or soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add okra and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until dry. Add onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Increase heat to medium-high and saute about 5 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
Sprinkle the fl our over the vegetables; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add the sausage; cook about 5 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in the undrained tomatoes and cayenne pepper. Stir in the broth and thyme sprigs, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Add shrimp and scallion. Season to taste with additional salt. Cook and stir about 3 minutes or until the shrimp are opaque. Discard the thyme sprigs. Stir in the parsley. Serve gumbo over rice.