Ribs and Sauerkraut
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 30 minutes
- Cook time: 180 minutes
- Servings: 6
- 1 lb bag sauerkraut
- 1/2 cup white wine, optional (may substitute water or stock)
- 6 medium white new potatoes, quartered
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 rack pork baby back ribs, cut into individual ribs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
- fresh parsley, for garnish
Set Dutch oven over medium-high and heat the vegetable oil. You can also cook this dish in the oven at 325 to 350 °F for the same time.
Season the ribs with salt and pepper. Lay ribs in the oven, meat side down and sear them in a single layer. Transfer them to a platter. Add the onions and sauté until softened, scraping up any browned bits from the ribs. Add potatoes. Add ribs back in and cover with sauerkraut. Poor wine over top. Cover the Dutch oven and lower the heat. Simmer the pot on the stove for 2 to 3 hours until the ribs are very tender.
If the dish gets too dry at any point stir in a little chicken broth or water to keep it moist.
Serve garnished with parsley sprigs.