Paula Deen Cuts the Fat: The Lady’s New Cheesy Mac
By Paula Deen
- 8 oz (2 cups) whole-wheat or regular elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons low fat, softened Neufchatel cheese
- 2 cups plus more for topping shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 lightly beaten large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch (optional) cayenne pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Grease a 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Drain well and return the pasta to the pot. Add the Neufchatel cheese and cheddar while the pasta is still warm. Stir until the cheeses have melted and the pasta is well coated.
Whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard, salt, and cayenne (if using) and stir through the pasta mixture. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish, top with extra cheddar, if you like, and bake for 30-40 minutes, until the cheese is melted and start to turn golden brown at the corners of the pan.