Lighter Crunchy Coconut Chicken Fingers With Pineapple Salsa
By Deen Brothers
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 10
- 1/2 cups chopped flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon 2 teaspoons, divided brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 lb about 8 tenders chicken tenders
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 2 8-ounce cans drained unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 small seeded and minced, optional jalapeño pepper
Preheat the oven to 425 °F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
Combine the coconut, breadcrumbs, flour, 1 tablespoon brown sugar and curry powder on a piece of wax paper. Sprinkle the tenders with the salt. Beat the egg whites in a large bowl until frothy; add the chicken tenders and toss to coat. Lift the chicken from the egg whites one at a time, and coat with the coconut mixture, pressing so the coating adheres. Place the chicken in a single layer on the baking sheet. Spray both sides of the chicken with nonstick spray. Bake until lightly golden and crisp, about 15 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking time.
Meanwhile, to prepare the salsa, toss the pineapple, cilantro, lime juice, 2 teaspoons brown sugar and jalapeño in a large bowl. Serve the salsa with the chicken.