Italian Spaghetti and Colossal Meatballs
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 20
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 7 cloves minced garlic
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup chopped, plus 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (1 lb) box cooked according to package directions spaghetti
- 1 1/2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large lightly beaten eggs
1. In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and 4 cloves of minced garlic; cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until onion is tender. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, wine, 1/2 cup of parsley, bay leaves, 2 teaspoons dried basil, oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, sugar and pepper; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add Colossal Meatballs, and simmer for 15 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Serve with cooked spaghetti. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place a wire rack over baking sheet, and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine ground chuck, sausage, panko, cheese, remaining 3 cloves minced garlic, 1 tablespoon parsley, 2 teaspoons basil and 1 teaspoon salt. Add beaten eggs, stirring gently to combine. Shape mixture into 2½-inch balls. Place on prepared rack, and bake for 30 minutes.