Get your copy of At the Southern Table with Paula Deen here.
Heirloom Tomato Pie
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 75 minutes
- Cook time: 35 minutes
- Servings: 1 (10-inch) pie
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon plain cornmeal , divided
- 3 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt , divided
- 3/4 cup cold unsalted butter , cubed
- 6 to 8 tablespoons cold whole buttermilk
- 8 medium assorted heirloom tomatoes , sliced 1/4-inch thick (about 3 pounds)
- 1/2 cup halved assorted heirloom tomatoes
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Garnish: chopped fresh basil
In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour 1/2 cup cornmeal, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Add cold butter, pulsing until mixture is crumbly. Gradually add buttermilk, pulsing until a dough forms.
Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and shape into a disk. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Place tomatoes on paper towels; sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons salt. Let stand for 30 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels.
Preheat oven to 425˚. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon cornmeal in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet.
On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 13-inch circle. Press into bottom and up sides of prepared skillet, letting excess extend over sides of skillet.
In a small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup cheese, mayonnaise, thyme, parsley, oregano, and pepper. Spread onto dough. Layer tomato slices onto filling; top with halved tomatoes, and drizzle with vinegar. Fold excess dough over tomatoes at edges.
Bake until crust is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese; bake until melted, about 5 minutes more. Let cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before serving. Garnish with basil, if desired.