By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 diced green bell pepper
- 1 medium diced Vidalia onion
- 2 diced celery stalks
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pickled jalapeño peppers
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 (14 1/2 oz) cans (petite cut) diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 1/2 oz) can red kidney beans
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
Heat oil in large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until the turkey is browned, about 6 minutes.
Add the bell pepper, onion, celery, jalapeño and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin and salt; bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer covered, stirring occasionally, until the flavors are blended and the chili begins to thicken, about 1 hour. Serve with cheese and scallions.