By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 large slightly beaten eggs
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup quick cooking grits
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9 inch) thawed unbaked pie shell
- sweetened optional whipped cream
- optional strawberries
Preheat oven to 325 °F. In a small saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Add grits and cook for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Add butter and cook for an additional minute. Set aside and cool slightly.
In a small bowl, stir together sugar, flour eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. Stir into cooked grits. Pour into pie shell and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until set. Serve warm or cold with whipped cream and strawberries as a garnish, if desired.