Green Grits Pie
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup quick cooking grits, not instant
- 1/2 cup butter
- green food coloring
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup whipping cream,
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9-inch) refrigerated (or frozen and thawed) pie crust, unbaked
- strawberries, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 325 °F.
In a small saucepan, bring 3/4 cup water and the salt to a boil. Add the grits, reduce the heat, cover, and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring several times, until the grits are very thick. Add the butter and 1 drop of food coloring and stir until the butter melts. Set the grits aside and allow them to cool slightly.
In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Stir well into the cooled grits. Pour the mixture into the piecrust. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until set.
Whip the whipping cream with the confectioners’ sugar and one drop of green food coloring.
Serve warm or cold with whipped cream, and garnish with strawberries.