Green Grits Pie
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 10
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup not instant quick cooking grits
- 1/2 cup butter
- green food coloring
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 large lightly beaten eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup whipped and sweetened with 1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar and colored with 1 drop of green food coloring whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9 inch) refrigerated or frozen and thawed, unbaked pie crust
- 1 cup whipped and sweetened with 1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar and colored with 1 drop of green food coloring heavy whipping cream
- for garnish strawberries
1. Preheat the oven to 325 °F.
2. In a small saucepan, bring 3/4 cup water and the salt to a boil. Add the grits, reduce the heat, cover, and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring several times, until the grits are very think. Add the butter and 1 drop of food coloring and stir until the butter melts. Set the grits aside and allow them to cool slightly.
3. In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Stir well into the cooled grits. Pour the mixture into the piecrust. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until set.
4. Serve warm or cold with whipped cream, and garnish with strawberries.