Grilled Pear Cobbler
By Paula Deen
- 8 peeled, halved and cored Bosc pears
- 2 cups pear nectar
- 12 cups divided sugar
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- 1 stick + 2 tablespoons divided: melt 1 stick, leave additional 2 tablespoons unmelted butter
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 3 lbs plus 2 additional pears chop 2, reserve separately, then chop 3 lbs, put in separate bowl pears
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple with syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- for sprinkling cinnamon sugar
- for serving vanilla ice cream
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat and preheat the oven to 350 °F.
In a large resealable plastic bag, add the Bosc pears and pear nectar. Seal the bag, and marinate for 1 hour. Remove the pears from the marinade, reserving the marinade. Grill the pears for 5 minutes per side.
Put the melted butter in a 13 by 9-inch baking dish. In a medium bowl, combine the biscuit mix, 2 cups sugar and half-and-half. Pour the batter into baking dish over the butter. Arrange the pears on top. Do not stir the pears. Pour the reserved marinade over the top of the pears. Bake until lightly browned, about 45 to 55 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and serve warm with ice cream and Pear Topping, if desired.
In a medium skillet, over low heat, add the 2 tablespoons butter and brown sugar. Stir to combine, then add the 2 diced pears and honey. Sautée quickly until warm. Serve over the cobbler.
Mix all ingredients (pineapple, 3 lbs chopped pears, lemon juice and 10 cups sugar) in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook until the pears are tender and the mixture thickens, approximately 30 minutes. Pour into sterilized jars and seal while hot.
Yield: 12 to 16 half-pint jars