German Chocolate Cake Cheesecake Style
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 1 (18 1/4 oz) package German chocolate cake mix
- 2 (8 oz) packages softened cream cheese
- 2 1/2 cups 1 1/2 cups for the cake, 1 cup for the frosting granulated sugar
- 4 lightly beaten eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup cubed (not margarine) butter
- 3 lightly beaten egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
Prepare cake batter according to package directions; set aside. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Pour half of the cake batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Gently pour cream cheese mixture over batter. Gently spoon remaining batter over top; spread to edge of pan. Bake at 325 °F for 70-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. For frosting, in a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk, butter and egg yolks .Cook and stir over medium-low heat until thickened and a thermometer reads 160 °F or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla; fold in coconut and pecans. Cool until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cooled cake. Refrigerate leftovers.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. We have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.