By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 2 lbs ripe diced tomatoes
- 1 peeled and diced seedless cucumber
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/3 cup seeded and diced green pepper
- 1/3 cup seeded and diced yellow pepper
- 1/3 cup seeded and diced red pepper
- 3 cups minced fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 cup recipe follows tomato water
- 1 lb very ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
Combine the first 8 ingredients in a large bowl and blend using an immersion blender.
*Cook’s Note: If you prefer chunky soup- do not blend all the way. If you prefer smooth soup, blend the vegetables until chunk-free.
Mix in the olive oil and vinegar. Add bread crumbs, tomato water, salt and pepper.
Chill for 4 to 8 hours before serving to allow flavors to meld. For extra flair/creativity, hollow out 6 bell peppers to act as the bowls for the soup.
Combine 1 lb ripe tomatoes and the salt in a blender and puree on high until smooth. Place some cheesecloth in a strainer and allow the liquid to slowly drip through. Reserve the liquid.