Cheesy Garden Casserole
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 12 minutes
- Cook time: 12 minutes
- Servings: 12
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large cut into 1/4-inch slices Vidalia onion
- 4 cut into 1/4-inch slices beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons divided salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 1/12 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup made from stale bread bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted, plus 1 tablespoon for greasing baking dish butter
Preheat oven to 375 °F.
Grease a shallow 2-quart baking dish with butter. In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until golden and soft, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
Layer half of the tomatoes in the baking dish and top with half the onions, 1/2 teaspoon salt, half the black pepper, half the oregano and half the cheddar. Repeat with the remaining tomatoes, onions, 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, oregano and cheddar.
In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, melted butter and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake the casserole until the top is golden brown and the tomatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.